Monday, December 8, 2014

Rhythm Sculpture Tutorial

PROJECT: RHYTHM SCULPTURE TUTORIAL
First you will want to gather all of your supplies. You are going to need:
  • a piece of white matte board (roughly 8x8)
  • a piece of black foam (roughly 6x6)
  • at least 3 different materials to layer
Now the objective here is to create a piece that is 3 dimensional, has at least 3 layers (more if you please) and has a rhythm to it. So it does not have to be symmetrical, but it does have to fit together nicely and each side should balance out the other.

FIRST: Take your piece of black foam that you have cut to be about 6x6"

 
SECOND: Take whatever material you want to be your first layer and glue it down to the foam. As you can see, this is not symmetrical exactly, but the sides are equal


THIRD: Take whichever material you would like to have as your second layer, and layer it on top of the first however you think will give the piece that rhythmic feel we are looking for, and glue it down

 
FOURTH: I cut out a few circles and squares from my piece of foam and glued those on as the third layer. I chose to do circles and squares because I wanted to piece to have that sense of symmetry, so I decided to just keep it to these 2 basic shapes.  As you can see, I now have 3 layers, so technically I could be finished now if I wished


FIFTH: Even though I have already given my sculpture the required 3 layers, I wanted to include these silly bands to give it more of a fun, whimsical look. These would be my fourth layer, notice how I have stuck to a strict color scheme. This just helps keep the piece from becoming overwhelming


SIXTH: You take the piece of white matte board that you had cut to about an 8x8" square, and you are going to place your finished piece onto that leaving a larger portion of white board showing at the bottom. Once you have placed it on like this, go ahead and glue it there

SEVENTH: The final step here is to take a pen, or sharpie, and sign your name on the bottom of the piece. This will give it the finishing touches it needs. After you are finished you may even want to go around the room and ask each child to "play" their piece for you. This will give you a sense of whether or not they understood how to keep the rhythm here

No comments:

Post a Comment